Sunday, July 30, 2017

Embracing Nature

   
I chose my original image because when I saw the dark, sleek, grey city landscape it immediately made me want to change it. Living in the city, I often feel a disconnect for nature and find myself longing to see more trees and plants rather than large grey buildings. I have also observed a disconnect from nature among city children I have worked with. The children are often quite unfamiliar with nature and as a result fearful of it. This got me thinking about our reading assignment and how we need to foster a love for nature among children. Perhaps if we brought more nature into the city it would provide more opportunities for everyone to happily connect with the earth. This could be done through the following ways: more urban gardening ( IE, container gardening, community gardens, composting), planting more trees and greenery within the city and encouraging the community to be involved in the process and care of the plants, and emphasizing our local farmers markets. The overarching idea is to promote a larger connection to nature within the city.

Remixed by Isabelle Olsson

Original image citation: Ford Motors, Published in Real Simple Magazine July 2015  

No comments:

Post a Comment