Sunday, July 30, 2017

Passado do Lagoa de Fago



Lagoa de Fago also known as the Lake of Fire located on Sao Miguel Island in the Portuguese archipelago Azores. Fifteen million years ago this lake and mountain was a volcanic site. I picked this image because it holds special value because I will actually be hiking this site very soon! I am excited to explore the vegetation and surroundings of the mountain and the lake and comparing it to my New England hike experiences. 

It is interesting to me how landscapes can change over time. At first look, the viewer would have no idea that this was an active volcano many years ago. I wanted to create a work that illustrates past and present when I remixed the image. Nature can grow, erupt and change. Within my remixed image I wanted to show the erupting lava from the volcano in which I used collaged mixed papers. The contrast between warm and hot colors display the past, while the cool colors show the present. I also used warm chalk pastel to transform the lake water into fire for the past.

Remixed by Jennifer DeAngelis

Orginial Image Citation- Men's Journal Magazine, 2017 page 100, Photographer unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment