Sunday, July 29, 2018

Remixed: Discovering Nature


Original Image Citation:
National Geographic 
February 2014
Artist- Peter Essick
Page 92, part of The Case of Missing Carbon article



Remixed by Eryn Burke
July 28, 2018



I choose the original image because this was an environmental art class and I thought the picture of nature was quite beautiful. I originally had two other images I was going to use, one with children in the grass and the other was polar bears. However I picked this one as I thought with the theme of nature this was a better fit. I was drawn to the movement of the water, the beautiful rocks and then underneath the polar opposite which was hues of green and black. I thought in both images I wanted to be there, touch it. I wanted to feel the slippery rocks, the cold water and the leaf that I imagined felt smooth and wet from rain. 

When I realized the assignment and what we had to do, I thought to myself, I should have gone with a different image. I was unsure on how I would remix this image. Then I saw this image of the girl and she was in the middle of a city street with no nature around her. I wanted to take her to the place I imagined when I saw the original image. So I recreated the mountain and river scene , trying to capture the movement and textures. I changed the sky to a sunset because it felt more cohesive and lively.  The bottom part, I included colors of nature of mainly green, black hues. I colored in some of the picture to pay respect to the beauty of the original leaf.  

I wanted to transport her to nature, to see the dark brown hues of wet muddy soil, the bright blues of the ocean, the various greens of trees, fish and flowers. To play within the mountains and rivers. I immersed her in nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment