Sunday, July 31, 2016

Art Remix - Morton


Photo by Sarah B Gilliam
Local Table: Summer 2016 


I chose my original image from an article in Local Table, a small magazine highlighting food and farms in middle Tennessee. I randomly picked this free magazine up while on vacation because I was attracted to the illustration on the cover. My original photo was part of an article titled “Growing as She Goes” that was about a local CSA farmer, Tana Comer, and her experience building her farm and establishing her customer base. The photo shows Tana’s earthed hands holding strawberries. The image made me think of buying local food and supporting local farmers and businesses. How much food do we eat without knowing where it comes from? How often do we make choices that give back to and support our communities?  I wanted the reader to think about this with my remixed image.

To remix my image I searched for ads of packaged and processed foods. I layered the background of the image with these new pictures. I then cut out the hands handing the strawberries and pasted it on top. I added the words “Put Local on Your Plate” across the bottom of the image. The hands look like they are reaching out offering the strawberries to the viewer over the other options. 


No comments:

Post a Comment