Sunday, July 31, 2016

Etullop: A opposition to pollution






The original image I chose is of a boy in a large, polluted technological wasteland in Guiyu, China. The boy in the image is sorting through the junk, looking for any useful reusable materials that could be sold.  Having studied this site in my undergraduate studies, it stuck with me years later. 

For my remix, I wanted to give the boy an environment that he deserve as a young child; an environment without wiring, metal and pollution. To do this, I cut around the boy, leaving him as the foreground of the piece.  I replaced the background with a collage of nature.  I included grass, flowers, trees, water, stone and mountains to surround him with a highly contrasting environment.  

When comparing the two images, I wanted there to be a completely different feel.  The first is a stark and depressing image, while the second is a calming and beautiful.  

The name of the remixed piece, "Etullop," is pollute spelled backwards. The new image is the opposite or backwards vision of the original.  The title also has a similar look and sound to the word eutopia which I feel resonates nicely with the message of the work.  


Original image: http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/campaigns/toxics/problems/e-waste/guiyu/ 

Julia Phillips 

No comments:

Post a Comment