Saturday, August 8, 2015

Peace




Back cover, National Geographic, July, 2015


The image I chose for this remix is an advertisement for a car. There is a lot of destruction happening in the picture; a burning boat, cargo containers falling into the ocean, and there is a man sitting against the car staring at a taco. I chose this image because it annoyed me. The story it is trying to sell is one of adventure, but what it looks like to me is a lot of collateral and environmental damage for a trivial pursuit.

I changed a lot of the image in this remix. I wanted to change the man from someone who carelessly damages the world around him into someone who could experience the world around him and leave it as he found it. I removed the words, the car, and the destruction and replaced them with green space, trees, and a horse. I altered the man so he is leaning up against a tree, it looks like his eyes are closed, and his hands are folded. I used the letters from the words to simply write "peace."

What would happen if we were able to prioritize caring for and experiencing the environment over our many destructive trivial pursuits? Maybe there would be room for a little more peace.

Charlotte Huffman

No comments:

Post a Comment