Sunday, August 2, 2015

Visit Disney Forest!







Duncan George, Getty Images, National Geographic, July 2015, Pg. 31




I chose my original image because I love deep woods places and the quiet of nature. I really wanted to be where this photo was taken. My remix shows the original forest from the photo being taken over by development, so that only a tiny bit of the original forest remains, pushed farther and farther away.
I wanted to express my frustration with how beautiful natural places have been commercialized and exploited until the nature of the place become threatened. I think it is so important to conserve natural places in a way that that supports the place itself, not in a way that just turns natural places into tourist destinations.
In the foreground there are figures taking photos and not paying attention to what little nature can still be seen, but the most important figure is a small girl. She is wearing a mouse hat and holding a mouse balloon like the kind you buy in Disneyland. She is looking over her shoulder towards the nature that was lost by the generations before her. She has been given these objects that represent consumerism and she still looks towards that quiet natural place looking for peace.

By Charlotte Huffman

No comments:

Post a Comment