Sunday, July 21, 2019

sink capitalism in the sea // smell like an ocean instead



Sarah Hirsch

Remix image from original advertisement in Bloomingdale catalogue, Nov 2018, p. 77. 
A golden, glittering perfume bottle shines in the middle of the field. Above it reads, "100% EXCLUSIVE" and product information. In the background, blue triangular prisms make for an angular, cool, aggressive feel, in contrast with the inviting warmth of the perfume. 


In my remix, I turn the image sideways, so that the points of the prisms become waves and the varied blues sea and sky. I add in waves and shimmering textured clouds, catching the light.  I use mixed media of different depths and materials, to give a sense of how expansive the open view feels. Golden beams shine out through the clouds from the original round gold of the perfume cap. As a final nod to the image's production origins, I include a cartoon bird, gleefully flying free. 





No comments:

Post a Comment